“Christmas in July” is a phrase used to describe a holiday or celebration that takes place in July, typically with themes and activities associated with Christmas.
The concept originated in the Southern Hemisphere, where July falls during the winter season, and people wanted to experience a taste of Christmas festivities without waiting for December.
Even if you’re not in the Southern Hemisphere and simply want to embrace the yuletide spirit, let us show you how to host the perfect Christmas in July Party!
Table of Contents
Christmas in July Decorations
Like any other party, Christmas in July parties have to start with the decorations. While you can go traditional and decorate with your usual tree, garland, and lights, we suggest you spice it up a little bit with summer themed Christmas decorations.
Here are some of our favorites:
Christmas In July Banner
Christmas in July Table Runner
Themed Disposable Paper Straws
Christmas in July Photo Booth Props
Ugly Hawaiian Christmas Shirts
No Christmas party is complete without at least a few Ugly Christmas Sweaters.
But in the summer we have to switch it up!
These Ugly Christmas Hawaiian shirts aren’t only hilarious, the are comfortable and will make you the talk of the party!
Christmas Themed Koozies
There’s never an issue keeping a drink cold during a normal Christmas party, but when you host one in the middle of summer it can definitely be a problem!
Lucky for you, these Koozies are perfect for not only the theme but also to keep that cold drink refreshing!
Perfectly Themed Party Bags
Christmas in July Party Games
No party is complete without a great game to break the ice. While there are many different games to play we have compiled a list of great Christmas themed games that will get the party going.
Here are a few of our favorites:
Deck the Halls Balloon Pop
“Deck the Halls Balloon Pop” Directions:
- Inflate and hang several balloons around the party area, each containing a slip of paper with a Christmas-related word or phrase written on it.
- Divide your guests into teams.
- When the game starts, each team must work together to pop as many balloons as possible within a designated time limit.
- Once a balloon is popped, the team must read the word or phrase inside and act it out or describe it to the rest of the participants.
- Each team has to guess the correct word or phrase.
- Each correctly guessed word or phrase earns points for the respective team.
- The team with the highest score at the end of the game wins.
Melting Snowman Relay Race
“Melting Snowman Relay Race” Directions:
- Set up a relay race where participants act as melting snowmen racing against time.
- Divide the guests into pairs or teams and assign each a starting point and a finishing line.
- Give each team a roll of toilet paper and a few
When the race starts, one team member begins by wrapping another team member from head to toe in toilet paper to create a “snowman.” They must use the full roll!
- Once the snowman is wrapped, the team member must quickly waddle or hop to the finishing line.
- At the finishing line, the snowman is “melted” by removing the toilet paper and adding the accessories.
- The team that finishes melting all their snowmen first wins the race.
Christmas Carol Karaoke
“Christmas Carol Karaoke” Directions:
- Create a playlist of popular Christmas songs and have a karaoke setup at your party.
- Allow guests to take turns selecting a song and singing their heart out.
- Provide lyrics sheets or display the lyrics on a screen to help participants follow along.
- Encourage guests to sing solo or form groups for duets or group performances.
- Consider awarding prizes for the best performance, most enthusiastic singer, or funniest rendition.
5 Christmas in July Recipes That Will Leave Your Guests Jolly
Traditional Christmas brings us ham, turkey, and even brisket in some parts of the country. But for a summer Christmas we have to change it up!
Here are our top recipes for a Christmas in July party:
"Home Alone Hawaiian Ham Sliders"
“Home Alone Hawaiian Ham Sliders”:
- Hawaiian sweet rolls
- Sliced ham
- Swiss cheese
- Pineapple slices
- Honey mustard sauce
- Butter (for brushing)
- Poppy seeds (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Slice the Hawaiian sweet rolls horizontally and place the bottom half in a baking dish.
- Layer sliced ham, Swiss cheese, and pineapple slices on the rolls.
- Drizzle honey mustard sauce over the toppings.
- Place the top half of the rolls on the filling.
- Brush melted butter over the rolls and sprinkle poppy seeds on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Slice into individual sliders and serve as “Home Alone Hawaiian Ham Sliders.”
"Jingle All the Way Jalapeño Poppers"
“Jingle All the Way Jalapeño Poppers”:
- Jalapeño peppers
- Cream cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Bacon strips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice the jalapeño peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- In a bowl, mix cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Fill each jalapeño half with the cheese mixture.
- Wrap a strip of bacon around each jalapeño half.
- Place the jalapeño poppers on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the bacon is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Serve these spicy delights as “Jingle All the Way Jalapeño Poppers.”
"The Polar Express Pizzettes"
“The Polar Express Pizzettes”:
- Mini pizza dough rounds
- Tomato sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sliced pepperoni
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to the temperature recommended on the mini pizza dough package.
- Spread tomato sauce over each mini pizza dough round.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Add slices of pepperoni and fresh basil leaves, if desired.
- Bake the pizzettes in the oven until the cheese is melted and the dough is crispy.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top for an extra kick, if desired.
- Serve these delightful mini pizzas as “The Polar Express Pizzettes.”
"A Christmas Story Avocado Egg Rolls"
“A Christmas Story Avocado Egg Rolls”:
- Egg roll wrappers
- Avocado, mashed
- Red bell pepper, diced
- Red onion, diced
- Corn kernels
- Cilantro, chopped
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a bowl, combine mashed avocado, red bell pepper, red onion, corn kernels, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Place a spoonful of the avocado mixture in the center of an egg roll wrapper.
- Fold the sides of the wrapper over the filling and roll tightly.
- Seal the edge of the wrapper with water to secure.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan or deep fryer.
- Fry the avocado egg rolls until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve these delicious appetizers as “A Christmas Story Avocado Egg Rolls.”
"The Santa Clause Cranberry Brie Bites"
“The Santa Clause Cranberry Brie Bites”:
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 8 ounces Brie cheese, cut into small cubes
- Fresh rosemary (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the puff pastry into small squares or circles.
- Place the puff pastry squares or circles on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon a small amount of cranberry sauce onto each puff pastry piece.
- Top with a cube of Brie cheese.
- Fold the corners or edges of the puff pastry over the cheese and cranberry sauce, creating little bundles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs or cranberries for a festive touch.
- Serve these delectable bites as “The Santa Clause Cranberry Brie Bites” to your guests.
Enjoy these tasty recipes with their festive Christmas movie-themed names at your “Christmas in July” summer party!
5 Amazing Christmas Drinks for Your Summer Party
Last but not least is something that really thrives when it comes to having a Summer Christmas; drinks!
When the snow is falling and the wind chill is dropping towards freezing there is nothing better than a Hot Toddy or a spiked hot chocolate, but those don’t quite hit the spot when it’s hot and humid.
These drinks will get the party started and still keep the Christmas theme, but please make sure to drink responsibly!
Candy Cane Martini
“Candy Cane Martini”:
- 2 ounces vanilla vodka
- 1 ounce white chocolate liqueur
- 1/2 ounce peppermint schnapps
- Crushed candy canes (for rimming the glass)
- Peppermint candy cane (for garnish)
- Rim the martini glass with crushed candy canes.
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine the vanilla vodka, white chocolate liqueur, and peppermint schnapps.
- Shake well and strain the mixture into the prepared martini glass.
- Garnish with a peppermint candy cane.
Spiced Cranberry Mule
“Spiced Cranberry Mule”:
- 2 ounces cranberry juice
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 4 ounces ginger beer
- Fresh cranberries and lime wedge (for garnish)
- Cinnamon stick (optional)
- Fill a copper mug or highball glass with ice.
- Add the cranberry juice, vodka, and lime juice to the glass.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with fresh cranberries and a lime wedge.
- Optionally, add a cinnamon stick for extra festive flair.
Winter Wonderland Punch
“Winter Wonderland Punch”:
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grenadine syrup
- 1 1/2 cups vodka
- Ice cubes
- Fresh cranberries, orange slices, and mint leaves (for garnish)
- In a large punch bowl, combine the cranberry juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, lemon juice, grenadine syrup, and vodka.
- Stir well to mix all the ingredients together.
- Add ice cubes to chill the punch.
- Garnish with fresh cranberries, orange slices, and mint leaves.
Peppermint White Russian
“Peppermint White Russian”:
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur
- 1 ounce peppermint schnapps
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- Crushed peppermint candies (for rimming the glass)
- Rim an old-fashioned glass with crushed peppermint candies.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine the vodka, coffee liqueur, peppermint schnapps, and heavy cream.
- Shake well and strain the mixture into the prepared glass.
Sparkling Pomegranate Margarita
“Sparkling Pomegranate Margarita”:
- 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce pomegranate juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce orange liqueur
- Champagne or sparkling wine
- Lime wedge and pomegranate seeds (for garnish)
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Add the tequila, pomegranate juice, lime juice, and orange liqueur to the shaker.
- Shake well to combine.
- Strain the mixture into a champagne flute.
- Top with champagne or sparkling wine.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and a few pomegranate seeds.
Concluding Your Party
In conclusion, hosting a memorable “Christmas in July Party” is all about creating a joyful and festive atmosphere while embracing the spirit of the holiday season. By incorporating the right decorations, delicious food and drinks, engaging activities, and thoughtful gestures, you can ensure that your guests have a wonderful time and create lasting memories.
Remember to pay attention to details, keep the party flowing smoothly, and be a gracious host.
Ultimately, a successful party lies in the joy and happiness it brings to everyone, fostering a sense of togetherness and celebration. So go ahead, put on your Santa hat, turn up the Christmas tunes, and let the magic of Christmas in July unfold in a truly unforgettable way.